Brazilian Turkey Vatapa
Makes 6 servings (1 cup per serving)
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (796 mL) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can light beer or non-alcoholic beer
- ¼ cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts OR 2 tbsp powdered peanut butter (PB2)
- 3 cups cooked boneless skinless turkey, chopped
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until starting to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add ginger and jalapeño and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add water, tomatoes and beer. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place peanuts in a coffee grinder or food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Add ground peanuts, turkey and coconut milk to pot, stirring to combine. Increase heat to medium.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add parsley, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Meal prep tip: Make ahead of time and freeze for up to three months. Garnish with cilantro right before serving.
Recipe Note: Traditional Vatapa is made with dried shrimp. We swapped out the shrimp with turkey, but kept the ground peanuts and staple flavours. One cup of dried shrimp provides approximately 700 mg of sodium and 240 mg of cholesterol, whereas 1 cup of turkey breast provides only 73 mg sodium and 116 mg cholesterol, making it a more heart-healthy option. The turkey also provides over 20 g more protein than the shrimp. Making simple substitutions such as this can completely change the nutritional value of your favorite dish, while keeping all the great flavours.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 272 calories, 14 g fat, 24 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate (9 g available carbohydrate), 3 g fiber, 317 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 3 proteins, 1 vegetable