Serves 28 (1 slice per serving)
- 1¾ cups lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup old fashioned large-flake oats
- 2 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup wheat germ
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp quinoa (raw)
- 2 tbsp millet
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- In a small bowl, stir together warm water and yeast. Set aside and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine molasses, brown sugar and olive oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Transfer yeast mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add flours, oats, salt, wheat germ, cornmeal, quinoa, millet and all of the seeds.
- Mix on low speed with the flat beater attachment until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Add molasses mixture and mix on low speed until a rough shaggy dough is formed, about 1 – 2 minutes. Turn off mixer and switch to dough hook attachment.
- Knead dough on medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 – 12 minutes. Dough may be slightly sticky.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and cover with a clean damp towel. Let dough rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Press each piece of dough with fingertips to flatten slightly. Roll each piece into an 8 x 6 inch rectangle. Roll up dough to form loaves and transfer seam side down to two 8 x 4 inch greased and parchment paper-lined loaf pans. Sprinkle with more oats and seeds if desired.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise until doubled in volume, about 1½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake until loaves are golden brown, about 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pans and allow to cool fully on a rack before slicing. Each loaf slices into 14 pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 115 calories, 4 g fat, 4 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate (15 g available carbohydrate), 2 g fibre, 14 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain