Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
Makes 9 servings (1½ cups per serving)
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- ½ cup diced peeled potato
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add turkey and cook, stirring, until thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and garlic. Cook until vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, thyme, sage and basil. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir until coated.
- Slowly stir in broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 10−15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil, add cauliflower and potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Return cauliflower and potato to pot and add butter and garlic powder. Mash mixture until smooth.
- Transfer turkey mixture to a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle peas and corn over turkey mixture. Spread with mashed cauliflower mixture.
- Allow to cool completely, then cover with aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To heat, remove pan from freezer and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake, covered, until heated through, about 45 minutes−1 hour. If desired, remove foil and broil for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 213 calories, 11 g fat, 16 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate (10 g available carbohydrate), 3 g fibre, 139 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 proteins, 2 vegetables, 1 fat