Acorn Squash with Quinoa Stuffing
Makes 4 side dish servings (¼ squash per serving)
For the Squash
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup orange juice
For the Filling
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely minced red onion
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa (red or white)
- Zest of an orange
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans or almonds
For the Dressing
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp honey (or agave, maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds and pulp (save seeds to roast for a delicious snack). Cut a small sliver of skin from the outside of the squash so it will lay flat on the baking tray when the cut side is up.
- Brush cut sides of squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the orange juice into each side of the squash cavity. Place in the oven on a parchment-lined baking tray and roast until soft, about 45 – 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the filling, heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add red onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add quinoa and orange zest to the pot and stir to coat the quinoa.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the temperature to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer quinoa to a bowl. Allow to cool for 20 minutes or so.
- While quinoa is cooling, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Add feta cheese, cranberries, nuts and dressing to the cooled quinoa. Stir gently to combine.
- Remove the squash from the oven, fill each side with half of the warm quinoa stuffing and serve one per two individuals as a side. Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 270 calories, 12 g fat, 7 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate (32 g available carbohydrate), 5 g fibre, 506 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grains, 1 protein, 2 fats