Black Bean Soup
Makes 4 servings (1 1/4 cups per serving)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced carrots
- ¼ cup diced celery
- 1 can (540 mL) no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add beans, garlic, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, allow soup to cool and blend in batches in a blender. Reheat over the stove to serving temperature. Stir in lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 156 calories, 4 g fat, 6 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate (20 g available carbohydrate), 5 g fibre, 186 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 1 grain, 1 protein, 1 fat