Beef and Sweet Potato Stew
Makes 6 servings (1½ cups per serving)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 lb. stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl or resealable bag. Toss the beef in the flour mixture, ensuring all sides of the beef are evenly coated.
- Heat oil in pan on medium-high heat and brown the beef.
- Transfer the browned beef to a slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except the peas. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- 30 minutes before serving add the peas to the slow cooker. Cook until peas are heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 307 calories, 14 g fat, 24 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate (16 g available carbohydrate), 4 g fibre, 292 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 3 proteins, 1 vegetable