Black Bean Jalapeno Chili
Makes 4 servings (1½ cups per serving)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or veggie ground round
- 1½ tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- Dash of pepper and salt
- 2 cans (540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 2 cans (398 mL) diced tomatoes with jalapeños
- 1 bunch kale (about 7 large leaves with inner rib removed), chopped
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, mushrooms, garlic and ground meat until meat is thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, pepper and salt.
- Add beans, chicken broth, diced tomatoes and kale. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with desired toppings like shredded cheese, avocado, sliced jalapeno peppers and cilantro.
*Meal prep tip: can be made ahead and stored in freezer for 3 months.
Nutritional analysis per serving (without toppings): 286 calories, 10 g fat, 21 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate (21 g available carbohydrate), 11 g fibre, 904 mg sodium
My Viva Servings (without toppings): 1 grain, 3 proteins, 3 vegetables, 1 fat