Carrot Ginger Soup
Serves 4 (1½ cups per serving)
- 1 tbsp salted butter or olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves roughly chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, or ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 4 cups sliced peeled carrots (about 1 lb)
- 4 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- Heavy cream, for finishing (optional)*
- Heat butter or oil in a medium pot over medium-low heat.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and chili flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and starting to caramelize, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add carrots and 3 cups broth, reserving remaining 1 cup. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Discard bay leaf.
- Purée soup using an immersion blender until smooth (alternatively, blend soup in batches in a blender). Return soup to medium-low heat. Add cider vinegar and remaining 1 cup broth and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook just until heated through. If desired, drizzle each serving with 1 – 2 tsp cream and sprinkle with additional thyme.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Ingredient not included in nutritional analysis
Nutritional analysis per serving: 136 calories, 3 g fat, 2 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate (21 g available carbohydrate), 5 g fibre, 572 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 3 vegetables