Greek Chicken Gyros
Makes 6 servings (1 pita per serving)
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
Pita and Fillings:
- 6 pita bread (6 inch)
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 cups diced Roma tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- Kalamata olives, sliced (optional)
- Tzatziki sauce (optional)
- To prepare marinade, combine red onion, lemon juice, yogurt, oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, thyme, coriander and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag. Pour marinade over chicken and seal bag, pressing out any excess air. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours. 30 minutes before cooking, remove chicken from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake chicken until cooked through (internal temperature should reach 165°F), about 25 minutes. Broil lightly for the last 5 minutes to slightly char chicken. Alternatively, chicken may be cooked on the barbecue over medium-high heat.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a cutting board and brush lightly with olive oil. Cover loosely with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes. Slice chicken into strips.
- Place chicken in the center of pitas, dividing equally. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, cilantro, kalamata olives and tzatziki sauce. Wrap to enclose filling. Enjoy any leftover chopped vegetables on the side. Serve and enjoy!
*Meal prep tip: you can cook the chicken ahead of time and freeze for up to 3 months. To re-heat, simply thaw and heat in the microwave or the oven at 325°F until heated through. Don’t build the rest of the gyros until the day of consumption.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 370 calories, 9 g fat, 34 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate (34 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fiber, 390 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 2 grains, 4 proteins, 3 vegetables, 1 fat