Veggie Pizza Pockets
Makes 8 servings
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup milk (1%)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine yeast, sugar and water in a small bowl. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and melted butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and salt. Add milk mixture and yeast mixture and stir until dough comes together. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rest until dough has doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and roll out into circles.
Pizza Filling and Assembly
- While dough is rising, heat 1 tsp oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Add peppers, mushrooms and spinach. Cook, stirring, until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread 1-2 tbsp tomato sauce on each dough circle, leaving a 1/2 inch border around outside of circle. Add 3 tbsp vegetables and 2 tbsp cheese.
- Fold the dough in half and seal the edges to enclose filling.
- Brush with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Cut a small slit in each pocket to allow steam to escape during cooking. Bake until pizza pockets are lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Or store in fridge or freezer for a later lunch.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 324 calories, 10 g fat, 14 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate (41 g available carbohydrate), 3 g fibre, 626 mg sodium
My Viva Plan® Servings: 3 grains, 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1 fat