Turkey and Spinach Lasagna
Makes 9 servings (1 slice per serving)
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ¼ tsp granulated sugar
- 1 can (796 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 6 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with a spatula, until no longer pink.
- Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in a fry pan over medium heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Add cooled spinach to ricotta and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent sticking.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Place 3 noodles on top. Spread with half of ricotta mixture.
- Top with 3 noodles. Spread with half of tomato sauce.
- Top with 3 noodles. Spread with remaining half of ricotta mixture.
- Top with 3 noodles. Spread with remaining half of tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, then remove foil and continue cooking until cheese is melted and top is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 319 calories, 8 g fat, 25 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate (33 g available carbohydrate), 5 g fibre, 309 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grains, 3 proteins, 2 vegetables, 1 fat