Makes 12 servings (1½ cups per serving)
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 can (796 mL) low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 can (540 mL) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey and onions. Cook, stirring, until turkey is fully cooked.
- Add carrots, celery, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you can find fire-roasted tomatoes, use them. They provide an incredible flavour.
- Meal prep tip: portion into individual servings and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat: thaw in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stove.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 168 calories, 5 g fat, 15 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate (10 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 195 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 proteins, 2 vegetables