Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry
Makes 5 servings (1½ cups per serving)
- ¾ cup unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sambal oelek (Asian chili garlic sauce)
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 8 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- Heat a medium frypan over medium heat. Add cashews and cook, stirring, until toasted and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- To make sauce, whisk together water, cornstarch, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sambal oelek and ginger in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large frypan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in a single layer and cook until browned, about 3 – 4 minutes. Cook chicken in batches if needed.
- Add broccoli, peppers, garlic, rice vinegar and 2 tbsp water. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered until broccoli is tender-crisp and chicken is fully cooked, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add sauce mixture to pan. Cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add cashews, green onions and sesame oil and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve over rice or noodles. Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 329 calories, 16 g fat, 27 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate (19 g available carbohydrate), 4 g fibre, 437 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 1 grain, 4 proteins, 2 vegetables