Chicken and Waffles
Serves 4 (1 waffle and 1 piece of chicken)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided
Waffles (makes 4 medium waffles)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup milk (1%)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp honey
- Canola oil or non-stick cooking spray (for waffle iron)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place chicken breasts in plastic bags or between pieces of saran wrap. Lightly pound the chicken with the flat side of a meat mallet until approximately ¾”- 1” thick.
- Combine flour with salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Combine egg with yogurt in a separate bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place corn flakes in a sealed plastic bag. Crush the corn flakes into smaller pieces, and transfer to a third bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, turning to coat evenly, then dip in the egg mixture, and finally coat with corn flakes.
- Brush 1 tbsp canola oil onto a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Place chicken on the baking sheet, then lightly drizzle remaining 1 tbsp oil evenly over chicken. Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, vanilla, eggs and honey. Whisk to combine.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
- Cook in a preheated greased waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 528 calories, 17 g fat, 43 g protein, 53 g carbohydrate (47 g available carbohydrate), 6 g fibre, 863 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 3 grains, 5 proteins, 2 fats