Rhubarb Baked Chicken
Makes 4 servings (4 oz. chicken, ½ cup sauce per serving)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb total)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Transfer to a shallow baking dish and bake, uncovered, until internal temperature reaches 165°F on a meat thermometer, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine rhubarb, water, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until mixture is thickened, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside to cool.
- Spoon rhubarb sauce over cooked chicken. Return to oven and bake 15 – 20 minutes longer.
- Serve and enjoy! Add roasted or steamed vegetables for a balanced plate.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 197 calories, 1 g fat, 27 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate (18 g available carbohydrate), 1 g fibre, 219 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 4 proteins, 1 fruit