Spiced Carrot Lentil Mini Muffins
Makes 12 servings (2 mini muffins per serving)
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup cooked lentils, cooled and puréed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, vanilla, applesauce, lentil purée, eggs and carrots.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into muffin tin, filling each muffin cup no more than ⅔ full.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then remove muffins from pan and cool fully on a rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving (two mini muffins): 154 calories, 2 g fat, 5 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate (28 g available carbohydrate), 4 g fibre, 206 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grains