Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
Makes 4 servings (1¼ cups per serving)
- 1 tsp canola oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced apple
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup mild curry paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2½ cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (398 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1½ cups roughly chopped fresh spinach
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add onion, apple and ginger and cook until tender, about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add curry paste and garam masala and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to slow cooker.
- Add sweet potatoes, cauliflower, chickpeas, diced tomatoes and broth. Stir to combine. Cook on high heat setting until vegetables are tender and sauce is thickened, about 6 hours. Stir in coconut milk and spinach, and cook until heated through, about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving: 185 calories, 4 g fat, 7 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate (24 g available carbohydrate), 8 g fibre, 489 mg sodium
My Viva Servings: 2 grains, 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1 fat